Wednesday, January 16, 2008

show me the money

I had a very depressing night last night catching up with a load of former colleagues. Don't get me wrong, it was lovely to see them all - they're now a selection of the great & the good working for blue chip companies/government departments etc. They all told me that if I worked for their companies I'd be fired on the spot because I don't tow the party line. They then urged me to go down the corporate route in order to get on. Why is that the only way forward? It seems ridiculous to me that in order to double my salary I have to start writing things that nobody wants to read. There has to be another solution. Surely the position I'm in now, with all its flaws and megalomania, can't be as good as it gets?

8 comments:

Revolving Credit said...

It appears that propaganda pay better than opinion!

zuzula said...

so true Rev, so true!

almostwitty.com said...

Whether you sell your body or sell your soul, if you want to chase the dollar, that's what you gotta do.

Then again, from my perspective, you're doing quite well. ;-)

zuzula said...

hmm... but i can't do this forever!

Peas on Toast said...

So true. One has to sell their soul in order to actually feed oneself in our industries. I work for a company now that includes all my interests. It's a gas, except of course the money isn't good.

I suppose when you hate what you do, you get paid for it.

The Blonde Blogshell said...

Ah, bunch of bores! :-)

Being passionate about what you do is success guaranteed. How many people out there HATE, DESPISE their jobs?

fake adult said...

It's not, Zu. I'm with The Blonde Blogshell; imagine getting to your death bed (still 97+ years away, of course) and only being able to say to yourself, 'I made a lot of money'. I don't know, maybe some are satisfied with that. Sad, though, isn't it?

But yeah, things could be worse. You don't want to know our food budget during January (though thankfully Silverfox has an amazing ability to turn nothing into something delicious). But things could be worse still; we maybe poor at the supermarket but we sure as hell don't look it...

george said...

No the trick is to make a lot of money doing something that you love! I'm really sick of doing creative cooking, there is definitely something to be said about 100 different ways to cook beans though, it has kept me going for many many many years.