Monday, August 11, 2008

An Even Bigger Announcement

Okay guys, something really very weird is happening to me. My life has leapt from relative stasis to complete whirlwind. First the new job, after five years stagnating in my comfort zone.

And now this.

My friends.

I am getting married.

I never thought I would write those words. It is absolutely true - even though I am half cut after a lovely, celebratory, impromptu wine/cake moment in the office (and we're on deadline which actually makes it all the more endearing) so please humour the nostalgia. My oldest blogging mates - Peas on Toast, Fake Adult, Confuddled, Almost Witty, Peabody, The Leak, Mrs Pop and all you others (including you lurkers - Google Stats, my dears!) - will understand how much of a fucking miracle this is. The Old Blog was a quagmire of hilarious emotional fuckwittage in which I genuinely believed I would marinate for life.

MC and I went away this weekend to celebrate our anniversary (it was exactly a year ago on Sunday that we first met, consumed a vat of wine and ended up snogging like mad in a west london wine bar). On Saturday we realised that we hadn't done anything remotely practical like exchange gifts/cards. But we were away so rather than spend a whole day shopping on our own we decided to limit ourselves to one hour of intense gift buying. I went conventional... clothes, aftershave etc. He emerged with a giant bag of something, and despite my irratingly persistent curiosity, we both agreed to wait until the anniversary day itself.

That night we went out for a gut-busting curry. I awoke on Sunday morning after a bad night's sleep feeling grumpy, full and generally annoyed with myself for having scoffed so many bloody onion bhajis (and let's not even mention the naan). We were about to exchange presents when he ordered me into the bathroom while he 'prepared'. I thought he was going to go down to the breakfast bar to get breakfast in bed and was wondering how on earth I would manage to eat any more.

Finally he re-emerged and led me back into the room. Our bed - a beautiful four poster dressed in white cotton linen and chiffron curtains - was strewn with roses. So romantic, I thought. 'Can you read what they say?' he asked... at which point I panicked. 'I *think* so,' I said slowly, thinking, shit, if I get this wrong, and actually it says 'cup of tea?', I am so screwed. But no - it really did say 'marry me'.

Cue ten minutes of 'are you sure? Are you really sure?' and ten minutes of crying. Which was nothing compared with my family, who shrieked and sobbed and wailed their congratulations through the resulting phone calls (am still half deaf); at about midnight I resorted to text because the average conversation was lasting 45 minutes and I still had at least 15 other calls to make before the B List found out on Facebook.

We have no time, no date, no budget and no idea where to begin. But there is a hell of a lot of champagne to be drunk while we figure it all out.

20 comments:

Grace said...

OMG!!!!

Congratulations!!!!! Im soooo happy for you!!

almostwitty.com said...

'Tis not a miracle - it just took the right person to know what a fab catch you are and all that.

So CONGRATULATIONS!

AW, off to buy a hat...

The Divine Miss M said...

OMIGOD CONGRATULATIONS!

That is really sweet :)

Rab said...

Congrats! What an adorable story.

Lucy said...

... am so glad to have been on the A list ;-) and am still half deafened myself from cheering down the phone!

It couldn't have happened to a nicer, more deserving person, my love!!

Once again ... CONGRATULATIONS!!

xxxx

zuzula said...

thanks everyone! Am still on cloud 9 (well, i would be if only i could shake off this hideous hangover)

fuzzy logic said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
It might be the PMS, but this post made me cry (in happiness for you!)

zuzula said...

ahhh thank you! actually getting engaged is proving very fruitful - we got free drinks in the pub last night when we told the barmaid! long may it last ;)

almostwitty.com said...

What you need to do now is reprise the asking moment in a posh restaurant - guaranteed free champers ;)

Mrs Pop said...

Awww!!! How romantic!

Congratulations and all my best to you!!!!

zuzula said...

AW - fantastic idea!

Mrs Pop - thank you :)

city boy said...

Congratulations from a lurker (city boy who had oysters with you).
Very happy for you :-)

serendipity said...

Congratulations!!

Peas on Toast said...

OMY GOD, OH MY GOD!
Zuzula! This is SUCH exciting NEWS! Oh my heavens, this is amazing, congratulations my old friend!

Your life has taken an unbelievable turn and you deserve every bit of it - congrats my girl, flip this is exciting! xxxxx

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! How romantic!

astarael said...

I think I have already congratulated you but I believe I should do so again.
CONGRATULATIONS ;)
love you
Axxx

zuzula said...

thank you everyone! (jonathan, i was thinking about you recently actually, i went to a fishmarket and realised that the last time i had oysters was with you! hope all is well)

fake adult said...

Have already said so via SMS and arse-hook, but one more time:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

xxx

The Blonde Blogshell said...

I FALL OFF THE "MUST-READ-BLOGS-EVERYDAY" BUS AND I MISS 2 CRUCIAL MOST INCREDIBLE PIECES OF NEWS!
*JUMPING UP AND DOWN IN A GIRLY FASHION*
OH.MY.GOD OH.MY.GOD!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!! THAT IS FUCKING FANTASTIC!!! I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zuzula said...

well.... i don't like to blow my own trumpet too loudly ;) thank you blogshell, and thanks everybody else too!