Friday, April 4, 2008

being a disappointment

Sometimes you just feel you've let somebody down - and there's nothing you can do about it. I managed to disappoint a complete stranger yesterday, when I received a text from an unknown number which said: 'were you being serious when you asked me out?' Being a person who immediately gets a guilty conscience, I wondered who on earth I had been talking to - when clearly inebriated - who had so badly got the wrong end of the stick. Then I realised that I haven't spoken to any strangers lately and breathed a huge sigh of relief. So I returned the text, telling the mystery person that they had the wrong number. And then - this is the heartbreaking bit - I got a reply. 'Aren't you Robbie?' it asked tentatively. No. No, I'm not Robbie. I don't know who Robbie is but I'm very cross with him for leaving me to sort out his commitmentphobia. Bastard.

2 comments:

fake adult said...

'Were you being serious when you asked me out?' One should never text that! You could say it half-jokingly over the phone but in a text, without all that a voice can do, it just sounds desperate. Your lack of being Robbie must have been crushing for whoever.

zuzula said...

yeah... no wonder he gave out the wrong number. it's all a bit plaintive and pathetic really isn't it?