Tuesday, April 15, 2008

when branding goes bad

I have been meaning to write this post for ages but haven't been able to illustrate it until now. So thanks to foundshit - click here to see a complete monstrosity of advertising in its full glory.

Everyday on the way to work I see this van. And everyday it notches up my blood pressure a little. It is simply wrong on so many levels. Primarily though, I just can't get my head around the concept of using a stoned-looking Eastern European model with big tits to sell cooking oil. It's COOKING OIL people! It's that shit that you use in a frying pan that gives you high cholesterol. It is not a beauty product - and even if it was, I am hardly inspired to aspire to look like her, or even worse, to fuck her, are you?

It's taking the whole 'sex sells' cliche way out of its comfort zone. And it's driving me mad. I'm no marketeer (thank God) but surely this is not the done thing?

7 comments:

fuzzy logic said...

Thank god I'm not the only one! I pass another of the same company's van on my way to work - but it's for tuna!! Even more revolting. And the picture is even more leery (if that's at all possible!)

almostwitty.com said...

When I saw that, I thought it must be a spoof or some kind of marketing prank. It can't be real. Surely?

zuzula said...

FL - really? tuna is at it as well? eugh. That's one of my favourite foods too. I feel sick!

AW - nope, it's for real! There's even a series of them - I did once see a van with same branding, different model. Bleugh...

Grace said...

Oh dear me.... you really do have to worry about what goes through some peoples minds when they think up their campaign. How on Earth they jump from cooking oil to fugly eastern european girl with big tits....

fake adult said...

she sure looks like she just swallowed some, doesn't she?

zuzula said...

Grace - I know! i almost wish I'd been in that meeting...

FA - she looks like she's swallowed... something

george said...

I think it's an add for vegetable oil implants.....isn't it?